Northern Virginia Regional Park, VA
Traffic and Signals Transportation Engineer
This position is responsible for transportation engineering and signal design and will assist in a wide variety of related projects. Projects will include transportation engineering studies, transportation impact analyses, corridor studies, safety studies, traffic signal timing and design.
- Support task assignments related to transportation analysis and design for projects in accordance with federal, state and local guidelines
- Provide technical support for new and existing projects such as preparation of plans; specifications and estimates for intersections; turn lanes and traffic signals.
- Support task assignments which includes corridor, transportation engineering, planning, safety, and operation studies as well as traffic impact analyses
- Support Project Manager in adhering to project budget and schedule
- Support efforts in proposal development, project scoping as well as with client relationship development
- Attend public meetings and interact with clients
- Develop signal designs based on NCDOT and other State standards (VA, FL, and SC), including geometric layout, electrical details, pole loading diagrams
- Review and provide QA/QC for signal designs developed by colleagues
- ITS and fiber optic plans design
- Design of alternative intersections and advanced signal features such as preemption for rail and emergency vehicles
- Traffic capacity and operational analyses
- Preparation of technical reports and deliverable file sets
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering with transportation concentration from a college or university
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering (preferred) Master’s degree in Civil Engineering is a plus
- 7-10 years minimum multidiscipline experience in transportation or traffic engineering
- Experience conducting traffic analyses (TIA’s) to DOT and municipalities standards.
- Proficient working with traffic and transportation design and analysis software such as SYNCHRO, HCS, MicroStation, and other traffic engineering related software
- The ideal candidate is an individual who is highly proactive and creative. Needs to understand traffic operations and have excellent technical writing and communication skills. Must be highly proficient in the traffic analysis and assessment discipline along with an understanding and capability with traffic design tasks.
- Self-starter capable of completing tasks with minimal oversight
- Experience in negotiating with both private and public sector clients
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) required
- PTOE is preferred