Civil Design Project Engineer
This position is for a hydraulics/water resources engineer to support the development of transportation projects. Responsibilities will include the design and analysis of open and closed storm drainage systems for linear transportation projects, hydraulic culvert/bridge design, erosion and sediment control design, and permitting. The ideal candidate will have abilities to supplement design efforts of the Design Department. The candidate should be familiar with NCDOT standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares hydraulics design drawings using MicroStation/GEOPAK, AutoCAD Civil 3D, and/or similar type software. GEOPAK Drainage, HEC-RAS, etc. experience is a plus.
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge of basic roadway hydrologic and hydraulics principals
- Prepares design drawings in accordance with various federal, state, and municipal standards governing the design of roadway drainage; including ditches, small pipe, culverts, and storm sewer systems.
- Prepares outfall analysis and performs drainage investigations.
- Preparing bridge and/or culvert hydraulics design over streams using FHWA guidelines.
- Experience with BMP design is a plus.
- Supports preparation of project bid documents/specifications.
- Prepares drainage quantities and cost estimating efforts.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university.
- PE required.
- 5+ years of experience in Civil Engineering.
- Experience working with private and public sector clients is preferred.
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks to ensure timely completion of plans
- Ability to assist in the training of junior staff
- Ability to assist with QA/QC of plans
- Ability to work well in a team environment