Environmental Scientist – Project Manager
DAVENPORT is seeking to fill an Environmental Scientist Project Manager position in our NC offices (Wilmington, Raleigh, Charlotte, Winston-Salem or Asheville). The ideal candidate will have experience in preparing documentation as required by the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the North Carolina Administrative Codes and Statues. Prior experience with environmental planning that includes permitting, inspections, wetland delineations, natural resource surveys, socio-economic impacts, or community assessments is preferred. The position requires professional verbal and written communication skills, budget and time management skills, the ability to make informed and professional judgments, and the ability to perform field investigations and prepare technical reports, as necessary. The position requires strong technical and communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation of environmental documentation including wetland reports, categorical exclusions, environmental assessments, and environmental impact statements.
- Conduct fieldwork such as wetland delineations, or biological assessments.
- Preparation of environmental permit applications or inspection reports.
- Prepare proposals for contracts.
- Manage projects from beginning to completion, including management of budgets, schedule, staffing capacity, and client management.
- Communicate frequently with multi-disciplinary project managers and provide environmental support on traffic and design projects.
- Provide guidance and training for junior team members.
- Support business development efforts as a technical lead.
- Maintain client satisfaction/confidentiality.
- Ensure project activities comply with OSHA Health and Safety regulations and other pertinent requirements.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Biology, or related field from an accredited university
- 7+ years’ experience environmental planning and/or environmental science.
- Project Management experience preferred
- Experience with ArcGIS and experience with GPS survey equipment.
- Team player, ability to train, guide, and work well with colleagues
- Collaboration skills
- Technical capacity
- Communication proficiency
- Time management
- Ability to make informed independent and professional judgements
- Professional verbal and written communication
- Highly proactive and creative
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Primary service area will be NC, although it could be in any of DAVENPORT’s service area. Some travel required, less than 15%. Travel would consist of mostly site visits and meetings.