TITLE: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST II
LOCATION: Richmond, VA
DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services
DAVENPORT is seeking to fill an Environmental Scientist Position that will be assigned to our Wilmington, NC office. This is a mid-level position that requires at least five years of environmental planning and assessment experience. This position requires professional verbal and written communication skills; the ability to make informed and professional judgments, the ability to perform field investigations and prepare technical reports, as necessary. Applicants must have a 4 year degree in Environmental Engineering, Geology, Environmental Science, or other related environmental field. Experience with National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Environmental Impact Statements and Environmental Assessments is required. Experience with environmental planning that includes 401/404 permitting, wetland delineations, natural resources, socio-economic impacts, and community assessments is preferred. Knowledge of the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ) Division of Waste Management Guidelines and regulations as well as assist in the preparation of technical reports is also preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Preparation of environmental documents and studies in compliance with NEPA guidelines for both state and federal agencies. Experience with the North Carolina Department of Transportation Planning and Environmental Branch is preferred.
• Conduct fieldwork for environmental site assessments of linear transportation projects.
o Wetland delineations
o Biological assessments
o Community resources
• Preparation of various environmental permit applications.
• Prepare technical reports per NCDEQ guidelines.
• Knowledge of regulatory compliance for project activities, ensure compliance with OSHA requirements.
• Ability to perform soil and groundwater sampling to evaluate site conditions.
• Maintain client satisfaction/confidentiality.
• Experience with GIS and/or CADD mapping is preferred.
• Some travel required including regular visits on job sites.
• OSHA 40hr Hazwoper training will be required.
• Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access.
• Experience with GPS survey equipment is a plus.
• Collaboration skills
• Technical capacity
• Communication proficiency
• Time management
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Primary service area will be NC, although it could be in any of DAVENPORT’s service area. Some travel required, less than 15%. Travel would consist of mostly site visits and meetings.
It’s DAVENPORT’s policy to offer equal opportunity in all areas of employment to all qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other classes protected by applicable law.