DAVENPORT is looking to fill a Roadway Design Project Engineer position that will provide quality engineering design services for rehabilitation, renovation, and construction of assigned projects. This candidate will ensure all initiatives and processes are in conformance with the organization’s established policies and objectives. The ideal candidate is an individual who is highly proactive and creative. The candidate understands roadway design, site civil design, and has excellent technical writing skills.
The prospective candidate must be able to provide design direction for the project to designers but may provide design support as well when required. They must be capable of reviewing, commenting on and subsequently approving designers’ work. Familiarity with preparing technical specifications is a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing design and drafting services for the roadway design team for the conceptual, preliminary, and final design phases of a project
- Preparing design drawings in accordance with various federal, state, and municipal standards governing the design of roads, intersections, sidewalks, multi-use paths, etc.
- Create site layout, utility routing, sanitary/storm sewer design, roadways, grading/earthwork, erosion control, and/or stormwater management systems plans.
- Preparing opinion of construction cost
- Provide design guidance to designers and QA/QC.
- Training junior engineers in roadway design and/or site civil design.
- Prepare design drawings using AutoCAD/Civil3D, MicroStation/Geopak, and/or similar type software
- Assist Project Managers with project management tasks including scope and fee, schedule, budget, subconsultant management, and client management
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited University
- 5+ years’ experience in Civil Engineering
- PE license required.
- NCDOT experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Candidate must be proficient in major design-related software such as AutoCAD/Civil3D and/or MicroStation/Geopak
- Collaboration skills
- Technical capacity
- Communication proficiency
- Time management
- Ability to make informed independent and professional judgements
- Professional verbal and written communication skills
- Highly proactive and creative
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Primary service area will be NC, although it could be in any of DAVENPORT’s service area. Some travel required, less than 15%. Travel would consist of mostly site visits and meetings.
Civil Design Project Manager