John Davenport Engineering (DAVENPORT), a regional civil engineering firm, is currently seeking a Business Developer. The position will be responsible for meeting prospective clients and establishing new business relationships in our private market. The focus of the position will be leveraging DAVENPORT’s recognized expertise in traffic engineering to increase opportunities in the private development industry.
Ideal candidate will have 1-3 years’ experience in marketing and/or business development for a A/E/C firm. Experience with business development for a professional services firm outside of the A/E/C industry will be considered. This position will be ideal for a candidate with a desire to learn and grown in business development. Ability to work independently, follow through in a consistent and persistent manner, and exhibit an outgoing and highly motivated personality will be critical to success. Location of the position is flexible and can be based out of any of DAVENPORT’s North Carolina offices (Raleigh, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Asheville, or Wilmington).
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter outlining why you are the best candidate for the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leverage the firm’s recognized expertise in select markets to create new opportunities for the firm
- Make commitments for the firm under the direction of the leadership team
- Spend majority of time (75+%) outside the firm making contacts
- Report business development activities weekly
- Research and gather information on potential clients and projects
- Maintain knowledge of market sector trends and industry news
- Work independently and in conjunction with the leadership team to develop external relationships for the firm
- Schedule meetings with new/existing clients to discover project information and build relationships
- Support leadership and technical leads in pursuing identified leads by establishing initial contact and getting introductory meetings set up and then following through with those leads and pursuits in collaboration with leadership and technical leads
- Develop and maintain strong business network
- Work with technical staff to develop proposals and scopes of work
- Regularly attend industry networking events and actively participate in industry and community organizations which will likely require work outside normal business hours
- Work collaboratively with the technical staff, marketing and proposal teams in developing qualification packages, and contributing to proposal and interview materials and strategy as appropriate.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Engineering or related field.
- Knowledge of transportation engineering and/or environmental consulting services is a plus.
- 1-3 years’ experience in marketing or business development of A/E/C firms (preferred) or other professional services firm
- Willingness to submit to background check including MVR (motor vehicle report) and drug screen
- Proven ability to follow through in a consistent manner
- Excellent organizational skills
- Outgoing personality with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Organized, highly motivated, able to work independently and as a member of the team
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
- Frequently required to walk, use hands to type data, operate business machines, dial the telephone and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently lift and/or move 5-10 lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 lbs.
- Specific visions abilities required for this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.